Thursday, July 10, 2008

Theosis

There is so much to learn. I've not been posting to this blog because I really didn't see a need to. I've been wrapped up in my "inspection" of the Book of Mormon as well as studying Isaiah. But with the recent fury over Elder Ballard's remarks about members getting more involved on-line, I think it appropriate to reboot this blog.

The original goal of this blog was to be a place for me to post thoughts and study notes from my personal studies of the Gospel. If I had an out-of-the-blue thought, I would post it here ... or post my thoughts about what was said in a Gospel Doctrine class or sacrament meeting talk. Perhaps it will be a place for dialogue between me and those who read it (if anyone reads it :-) ) But mostly it will be for my eyes and my benefit as I read, study and find things on-line ... and maybe it will be of use to others.

Theosis

I just read an interesting article over at Meridian Magazine entitled Questions Mormons Should Ask Themselves From FAIR, the Foundation for Apologetic Information and Research. From there, I read about theosis or human deification. I've heard it before and read it many times on-line from people trying to persuade others that the LDS church is a cult. They use Isaiah 43:10 to argue that no man can become like God.

Theosis is a type of theology meaning divinization. I searched the word at wikipedia and found a nice article on it there. I remember in my humanities class at BYU that we learned early Christians indeed believed that they could become like God. This teaching has since been lost, but is taught again today by the LDS church.

Coming across this article is rather timely as I'll be studying Isaiah 43 very soon.