Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Enduring to the End

Endure is an interesting word.  It has been on my mind the last couple of weeks.  I continue to mull over it.

Thus far, I've learned two things that are certain:

1) Enduring is about expanding our capacity ... our capacity to deal with adversity, life's challenges, stress, day to day minutiae - everything.  It deals with how much we can handle.

2) Enduring is about strengthening - being hardened - holding ground on the battle's we've already won.  It deals with how we can hold on to the gains we've made.

Combining these two thoughts, I liken enduring to battle.  We must fight the battles before us ... we must take ground (capacity) and then hold it (strength).  The cycle then continues - we move on to the next battle - confront the next challenge, deal with it, learn from it and hold on to it.  This cycle continues all through our life.

Here are the articles I've been reading, annotating and re-reading again.

Neal A. Maxwell, "“Endure It Well”", Ensign, May 1990, 33
Neal A. Maxwell, "Enduring Well", Ensign, Apr. 1997, 7
Russell M. Nelson, "Endure and Be Lifted Up", Ensign, May 1997, 70
Robert D. Hales, "“Behold, We Count Them Happy Which Endure”", Ensign, May 1998, 75
Joseph B. Wirthlin, "Press On", Ensign, Nov. 2004, 101–4
Emma Petty Addams, "Enduring Well", Ensign, Mar. 2010, 34–37

I've several more articles that I'm reading now too.  Although these deal more specifically with adversity.  But I think the lessons from enduring well and dealing with adversity are the same.