Saturday, January 21, 2017
January Week 4 - Commandments of Christ
Write question on board: "what is it you value in life?
Answers might be:
- star wars battlefront (xbox)
Give students 10 minutes or so to look up the commandments of Christ. Limit search to the New Testament. Guide them to look in NT, or 3 Nephi 11/12, Exodus 20:1-17, etc.
Fill in on board, the commandments, starting with the two great commandments, the 10 and all others. Note that through personal study, I found about 45 commandments.
Next, have a discussion about what do these commandments tell us what we should value in life?
They tell us we should value our relationship with God (fate, universe) and our neighbors. Note, that neighbors are everyone.
Then revisit list the students made. Ask what of those things on there, fall into the categories of things that last forever. The things that last forever tend to align with the two great commandments, the rest of them will be indifferent and will be consumed by time and fire.
Discuss the notion that "now" is "eternity"
The one-takeaway I want them to learn is that they should love others - serve others - be kind to others - forgive others. That is the sole purpose of the commandments of Christ.
The Two Great Commandments
1. Love God with all your heart, soul and mind
2. Love they neighbor as thyself
All other commandments fall under these two great commandments.
The Ten Commandments
1. Do not worship or put anything ahead of God
2. Do not make or worship idols
3. Do not take the name of God in vain
4. Keep the Sabbath day holy
5. Honor your father and mother
6. Do not commit murder
7. Do not commit adultery
8. Do not steal
9. Do not tell lies against anyone
10. Do not covet others' possessions
Other Commandments of Christ
1. Forgive others (Matt 6:12, Mark 11:25-26)
2. Be born again (John 3:7)
3. Abide in Christ and let him abide in you (John 15:4)
4. Let people see your good works (Matt 5:16)
5. End disputes quickly (Matt 5:25)
6. Repent, stop sinning (Matt 5:29-30)
7. Do not swear oaths at all (Matt 5:34-37)
8. Turn the other cheek (Matt 5:38-39)
9. Give what others ask of you, give more than is required (Matt 5:40-42)
10. Love your enemies (Matt 5:43-45)
11. Give to the poor to please God, not others (Matt 6:1)
12. Pray privately, simply - not to impress others (Matt 6:5-7)
13. Fast secretly, not for show (Matt 6:16)
14. Do all that you do to impress God (Matt 6:19-21)
15. Do not worry about material things (Matt 6:25-26)
16. Do not worry about the future (Matt 6:34)
17. Make God your highest priority (Matt 6:33)
18. Do not judge other people (Matt 7:1-2)
19. Do not give/share holy/sacred things to the dogs/swine (Matt 7:-6)
20. Ask God (Matt 7:7)
21. Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, shelter the homeless (Matt 25:34-36)
22. Follow the narrow path (Matt 7:13-14)
23. Beware of false prophets (Matt 7:15)
24. Love little children (Matt 18:10)
25. Resolve disputes in an orderly way (Matt 18:15-17)
26. Do not oppose other believers in Christ who are not in your group (Mark 9:38-40)
27. Have faith in God for everything (Mark 11:22-24)
28. Be like the good Samaritan (Luke 10:30-35)
29. Love others as I have loved you (John 15:12)
30. Partake of the sacrament (Luke 22: 19-20)
31. Care for each others' needs (John 13:14)
32. Be merciful (Luke 6:36)
33. Keep my commandments (John 14:15)