Some might give answers that are 'close', but keep prodding them to get the correct answer
Hint: the answer in the scriptures is near the parable of the good Samaritan
- Love God
- Love neighbor
- Write these on the board
Read passage from https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2012/04/the-doctrine-of-christ?lang=eng
Joseph Smith confirmed the Savior’s central role in our doctrine in one definitive sentence:
“The fundamental principles of our religion are the testimony of the Apostles and Prophets, concerning Jesus Christ, that He died, was buried, and rose again the third day, and ascended into heaven; and all other things which pertain to our religion are only appendages to it."
- What is an appendage? Draw a stick figure body on the board; what can you lose and still live? That is an appendage
- That means, if we love God and our neighbor, that is all that truly matters; everything else is an appendage
Give the students 10 minutes to look up the commandments of Christ.
Each student then shares the reference, reads it; answers how it is related to the two great commandments; and how they are applying that commandment in their life
Give them hints of where to look: 3 Ne, Matt, Mark, Luke, John, Mosiah 13, Exodus 22?
I. The Universal Moral Law
A. The Law Of Love
"First, love God your Creator more than anything else. Then, love all other people the same as you love yourself."
B. The Ten Commandments
1. "Do not put anything ahead of God your Creator."
2. "Do not make or worship idols."
3. "Do not take the name of God in vain."
4. "Take one day of complete rest each week, in honor of God."
5. "Honor your father and your mother."
6. "Do not commit murder."
7. "Do not commit adultery."
8. "Do not steal."
9. "Do not tell lies against anyone."
10. "Do not covet other people's possessions."
C. The Golden Rule "Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated."
II. The Other Commandments Of Jesus
- "FORGIVE EVERYBODY OF ALL THEIR OFFENSES AGAINST YOU." (Forgive, and be forgiven.)
- "YOU MUST BE BORN AGAIN."
- "ABIDE IN ME, AND LET ME ABIDE IN YOU."
- "LET PEOPLE SEE YOUR GOOD WORKS." (Do not hide your light under a basket.)
- "END DISPUTES QUICKLY."
- "WHATEVER CAUSES YOU TO SIN, GET RID OF IT."
- "DO NOT SWEAR OATHS AT ALL."
- "DO NOT RETURN OFFENSE FOR OFFENSE." (Turn the other cheek.)
- "GIVE WHAT PEOPLE ASK OF YOU, AND GIVE MORE THAN IS REQUIRED." (Go the extra mile.)
- "LOVE YOUR ENEMIES AND THOSE WHO WORK AGAINST YOU."
- "GIVE TO THE POOR TO PLEASE GOD, NOT TO GAIN APPROVAL FROM OTHER PEOPLE."
- "PRAY PRIVATELY AND SIMPLY, NOT TO IMPRESS OTHER PEOPLE."
- "MAKE YOUR PRAYERS BE LIKE THE LORD'S PRAYER."
- "WHEN YOU FAST, DO IT SECRETLY, NOT FOR SHOW."
- "STORE UP YOUR TREASURES IN HEAVEN, NOT ON EARTH."
- "DO NOT WORRY ABOUT YOUR MATERIAL NEEDS."
- "DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THE FUTURE."
- "MAKE GOD YOUR HIGHEST PRIORITY, AND HE WILL TAKE CARE OF ALL YOUR NEEDS."
- "DO NOT JUDGE OTHER PEOPLE." (Judge not, lest ye be judged.)
- "DO NOT GIVE HOLY THINGS TO DOGS OR CAST YOUR PEARLS BEFORE SWINE."
- "ASK GOD FOR WHATEVER YOU WANT TO HAVE." (Seek, and ye shall find.)
- "FEED THE HUNGRY, CLOTHE THE NAKED, SHELTER THE HOMELESS, COMFORT THOSE IN DISTRESS."
- "FOLLOW THE NARROW PATH TO LIFE." (Enter by the narrow gate.)
- "BEWARE OF FALSE PROPHETS."
- "EXERCISE POWER OVER UNCLEAN SPIRITS."
- "LOVE LITTLE CHILDREN, DO NOT DESPISE THEM."
- "DO NOT TAKE THE TITLES 'MASTER' OR 'FATHER' FOR YOURSELF."
- "RESOLVE DISPUTES IN AN ORDERLY WAY, LIKE THIS . . . "
- "DO NOT OPPOSE OTHER BELIEVERS IN CHRIST WHO ARE NOT IN YOUR GROUP."
- "HAVE TOTAL FAITH IN GOD FOR EVERYTHING."
- "BE LIKE THE GOOD SAMARITAN." (Go, and do likewise.)
- "LOVE OTHER PEOPLE AS I HAVE LOVED YOU"
- "EAT BREAD AND DRINK WINE IN REMEMBRANCE OF ME."
- "WASH ONE ANOTHER'S FEET."
- "BE MERCIFUL."
- "GO AND TEACH ALL NATIONS, BAPTIZING THEM."
- "KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS."
- "BE PREPARED FOR YOUR MASTER TO RETURN."
this lesson is very similar to Commandments of Christ lesson.
Consider ending the lesson by watching Jean Valjean video(s) (see this post)